The Scholar-Led News Site of One School of the Arts

The Walter Times

The Walter Times

The Walter Times

Park City: Senior Trip
April 25, 2024
Solar Eclipse 2024
Solar Eclipse 2024
April 25, 2024
The Bell Jar
The Bell Jar
April 12, 2024
Aylie Owens, seventh grade, led some of her peers to pray over the dancers and their hardships.
Break a Leg
April 12, 2024

Peter Pan: Then and Now

Staff Photographer
Mio Frye, Kim Reynolds, Joan Torres, John Marin, Madelyn Glascock, Dave Martin, Courtney Schieber and Ryan Frye posing before taking the stage for the Spring Play-Peter Pan

In 2013, One School of the Arts and Sciences, then known as just One School of the Arts, was ready to put on their first production as a school, J.M. Barrie’s tale, “Peter Pan.” What set this production apart was the fact that the cast was mostly made up of teachers. Mr. Fry, the theater director, was the dastardly Captain Hook, while Mr. Marin, the Bible/History teacher, portrayed the bumbling but lovable Smee.

Now, a decade later, One School of the Arts and Sciences is once again ready to whisk audiences away to the magical world of Neverland. However, this time, the spotlight shines on a new generation of performers.

This year’s production of “Peter Pan” is bursting with fresh talent and familiar faces hailing from the elementary and middle school ranks. In the lead roles, Nate Huckabee, 8th grade, takes on the formidable Captain Hook. Meanwhile, Cadence Payne, eighth grade, soars through the Neverland skies as Peter Pan.

Rehearsals are in full swing, and the energy of the cast and crew seems contagious. The set design, costumes, and choreography aim to transport the audience to a world where dreams take flight. “The excitement feels palpable throughout the school. After the preview this morning, there are already a few characters who already stand out. Everybody is in for a treat,” said Juan Ruiz, one of the school’s photographers.

Reflecting on the journey from teachers taking on the roles of beloved characters to scholars stepping into the limelight, Mr. Marin, who played Smee, remarked, “It’s heartwarming to see the tradition continue and to witness these young talents carrying the torch forward. I couldn’t be prouder.”

With the show’s opening night just hours away, the anticipation is growing. It’s not just the performers who are eagerly awaiting the curtain to rise; the OS community is abuzz with excitement, ready to be swept away by the magic of “Peter Pan.”

One School of the Arts and Sciences has proven once again that the spirit of theater lives on, evolving and flourishing, much like the characters in Barrie’s beloved tale. As the school takes flight on this new adventure, they do so with the hope that their production will inspire the dreams and imaginations of all who attend the production.

Donate to The Walter Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of One School of the Arts. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.