The Scholar-Led News Site of One School of the Arts

The Walter Times

The Walter Times

The Walter Times

Solar Eclipse 2024
Solar Eclipse 2024
April 25, 2024
The Bell Jar
The Bell Jar
April 12, 2024
Aylie Owens, seventh grade, led some of her peers to pray over the dancers and their hardships.
Break a Leg
April 12, 2024

Black History Month Celebration

Middle and High School Open Mic
Juan Ruiz
Hosts: Kevi Stafford and Lynn Rush, staff, and Preston Richmond, ninth grade, and Lexie Williams, 11th grade

The 2024 Black History Open Mic began with the hosts, Ms. Kevi and Coach Rush, introducing an educational video showing black history and culture through music, dance, and singing. This was followed by the whole auditorium standing to honor what is known as the African American National anthem, sung by Ms. Sherina and accompanied by Ms. Eriko on the piano. Lift Every Voice and Sing became known as the African American National anthem in 1919 after it was initially written as a poem by James Weldon Johnson in 1900.

The African American National anthem, was sung by Ms. Sherina and accompanied by Ms. Eriko on the piano. (Juan Ruiz)

The anthem was followed by Lexie Williams, 11th grade, and Preston Richmand, ninth grade, the scholar hosts, as they announced Avery Stepan, 10th grade, singing and Nico Wilhelm, Ethan Pendergast, and Justin Lundburg, ninth grade, playing as a band to the song Smooth Operator by Sade. 

Nico Wilhelm, 10th grade, playing the song Smooth Operator by Sade. (Juan Ruiz)

“I wanted to sing something that actually represents a cultural milestone that focuses on the positive of black history. I also love the group, Sade; she has such an impactful voice as well as the groove in the band,” said Avery. 

The two historical moments of the civil rights movement, Martin Luther King’s speech “I Have a Dream” and Rosa Park’s refusal to move to the back of the bus, were reacted in a skit performed by the middle school drama class that included Olivia McDowell, Skyler Mott, Arianna Ortiz, Christian Gagnon, Loreliz Arroyo, Paisley Reyes, Haven Worthington, Kylah Moore, Danielle Kouski, Isabella Latorre, and Analyse Ploche. The actors were able to portray the events respectfully while showing the significance of both events.

The two historical moments of the civil rights movement, Martin Luther King’s speech “I Have a Dream” and Rosa Park’s refusal to move to the back of the bus, were reacted in a skit performed by the middle school drama class that included Olivia McDowell, Skyler Mott, Arianna Ortiz, Christian Gagnon, Loreliz Arroyo, Paisley Reyes, Haven Worthington, Kylah Moore, Danielle Kouski, Isabella Latorre, and Analyse Ploche. The actors were able to portray the events respectfully while showing the significance of both events. (Juan Ruiz)

The song Armies was choreographed and danced by Malana Beedle, Oni-Symone Richmond, and Stephanie Robinson, sixth grade, who showed their talents through hip-hop. The next dance trio was elegantly performed by Amaya Lewis, Grace Briscoe, and Angelica King, ninth grade, to the song Black Woman by Emanuel. 

Amaya Lewis, Grace Briscoe, and Angelica King, ninth grade, danced to the song Black Woman by Emanuel. (Juan Ruiz)

After the dance, the middle school theatre class acts in a scene from the musical The Whiz. This performance gave the audience a sense of what the musical is about in a fun way, ending with a song calling for peace in the world. This play became significant by displaying the perseverance of black people in times of adversity while calling for racial liberation as it is played by an all-African-American cast. 

The open mic was concluded with the middle school Alma Choral singing and dancing to the song He Lives in You from the Broadway Lion King. (Juan Ruiz)

“My favorite part of the dance was the lift but it was challenging to sing and dance at the same time,” said Naveah Mclenan, fourth grade.

Then scholars from the middle and high school dance departments marched from the back of the auditorium to perform the mix of hip-hop songs from last year’s Hope concert, with changes to fit the theme of Black History Month. This was followed by Evangeline Dudley, seventh grade, who performed an exciting Gymnastic Floor Routine showing many splits, jumps, and impressive moves from Simone Biles, an American Olympic gymnast who won four gold medals, one silver, and two bronze. 

The middle and high school dance teams performed numerous numbers representing both artists and dance styles studied around the Black History theme. (Juan Ruiz)

Amanda Hernandez, 11th grade, exuded confidence and originality as she sang an acoustic version of the song, Killing Me Softly, initially sung by Lauryn Hill and the Fugees. 

Amanda Hernandez, 11th grade, sang Killing Me Softly, initially sung by Lauryn Hill and the Fugees. (Juan Ruiz)

After the song, Camryn Cambell, 10th grade, performed a solo dance to the music I Will Always Love You by Witney Huston. She was then celebrated for being the 2023-2024 Hope dancer when her parents and brother were brought to the stage and awarded her flowers. 

Camryn Campbell, ninth grade, is the face of the Dance Theater’s Hope Concert this year. Her family joined her onstage to congratulate her. (Juan Ruiz)

“I danced to the Whitney Houston song because last year I did a song by Neal Simmone that was about love and losing a loved one and I want to continue that tradition throughout my years of dancing throughout high school,” said Camryn Cambell, 10th grade.

The open mic was concluded with the middle school Alma Choral singing and dancing to the song He Lives in You from the Broadway Lion King, which left the audience in applause as the singers exited to the back of the auditorium and the open mic ended.

The middle school theater class performed The Whiz at the Black History Open Mic. (Juan Ruiz)

Preston Richmond, ninth grade, said, “I loved the opportunity to host, and I hope to do it again. All the performances made this Black History Open mic very special,” to describe his first time as a host.

Donate to The Walter Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of One School of the Arts. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.