The Scholar-Led News Site of One School of the Arts

The Walter Times

The Walter Times

The Walter Times

Park City: Senior Trip
April 25, 2024
Solar Eclipse 2024
Solar Eclipse 2024
April 25, 2024
The Bell Jar
The Bell Jar
April 12, 2024
Aylie Owens, seventh grade, led some of her peers to pray over the dancers and their hardships.
Break a Leg
April 12, 2024

The Definition of a Protege

Francisco Melendez

Watching from the sidelines beneath the white wash of the fluorescent lights suspended high above, you rest comfortably. You had just performed the gymnastics routine you have honed over the course of the last twelve months, staying late, attending every meet, not to mention the past decade of practice prior, starting at the prime age of one. 

Then, from the corner of your eye, you see Hunter Francisco, third grade. He has only been enrolled at his gymnastics school for 10 months; he is nothing next to your talents. And then: your heart skips a beat; a perfectly executed forum; without so much as a tremble, Hunter has undoubtedly surpassed you. The scores came in, with Hunter Francisco in first place. You can’t help but feel humbled by the progress made before you. 

This may seem like a tall tale only seen in underdog movies and shows, but this is our reality. Hunter Francisco, third grade, recently attended and won first place at the USA Gymnastics Region 8 Championships, just 10 months after picking up the sport in June of 2023. Beating out the competition flying in from all 12 states that make up the American South East. 

To learn more, I spoke to the man himself, Hunter Francisco. I wanted to uncover who this gymnastic marvel was. Though contact was difficult for a reason that I would have never imagined encountering, he was too humble.

“I went to the Atlanta Georgia Regionals… It was kind of scary, but I won first place all around, out of 141 kids,” said Hunter Francisco. 

He had said it as if it were trivial, as if he were overcoming his fear of the dark, and yet it was not one bit trivial. He has just bested the best of 12 states in a sport he has only been a part of for 10 months.

And when I asked why “it was kind of scary,” I had expected a typical response—you know, being in a new place, trying something new, a fear of failure—but no, this child has defied all expectations, not just the ones set by the judges, by his mentors, but by narrative convention itself. He was afraid of the echoing of his own accomplishments: “There are so many people there, and I get nervous when there’s a lot of people there. When they’re clapping a lot, it makes me nervous.” 

Who is this child really? A spirit victory? I must learn more, and I will keep you, my dear reader, apprised of my discoveries.

Donate to The Walter Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of One School of the Arts. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.