Self Care, the Ins and Outs

Samantha McGill, Staff

As the year comes to a close, scholars can often end up getting swept away by it all… Layla Hubler, 11th grade, admitted, “I’d say that my stress is an 11/10 right because of the unhealthy mix of dual enrollment classes, high school classes, and extracurriculars.”  From projects, to final tests, to left over homework, it becomes a reminder of what all needs to be done. The finality of it all can seem scary, but scholars have found ways to combat it. “[The end of the school year is] Pretty stressful at the moment because of how many after-school activities I am in. I am also trying to wrap up my FLVS classes quickly on top of all of that. Honestly, it has been free-flying but all is good!” expressed Lorelei Wheaton, 10th grade. 

For some people, self care can be an uncomplicated thing to let go of the excess stress. Ava Wilson, 10th grade, explained that she often spends four to five hours a night working on assignments, studying, or working on projects. Ava then mentioned that her self care is simpler than you may think, “My selfcare time is in the form of a shower, sleeping, and eating.” Self care doesn’t have to be some multi step routine for everyone. Ella Salamy, 12th Grade, agrees fully with this idea of simplicity in self care, “Even the smallest of things like brushing my teeth, or brushing my hair, putting on deodorant can help in that very moment.” Brinn Marks, 11th grade takes on a different way of explaining how although it may sound “silly” it is similar to a metaphor she has heard from a professional, “You should care for yourself as if you were a child, not in the sense of tattling or dehumanizing yourself. You should take care of yourself and allow yourself the needs that you would give to any other child. You deserve to eat. You deserve to have water. You deserve to take care of yourself. You deserve to take a nap. As long as you take care of yourself, you’re allowing yourself to heal.” It doesn’t always have to be anything crazy when you need to take care of yourself. A famous quote from General Creighton Abrams says, When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time.” Ella Salamy, believes that not everyone realizes the importance of mental health and taking care of yourself through self care, “Self care is really good. But you have to be in a place to accept that you need it.. But if you are in a deep depression, someone telling you that you should shower or brush your hair feels worse. It becomes all sorts of negative stuff. When you accept that you need self care and you have to be in the mindset that it is time to help yourself out or clean yourself up.”

When you don’t prioritize or even practice mental health, it can get you. Ella Salamy, “When I’m not taking care of my body, my mental health can deplete. It becomes even worse when there’s drama or when I have like six missing assignments in a class. That weighs you down and makes you feel overwhelming sadness and leads to selfcare feeling like a chore or making you feel worse.” It is reasons like these why doing whatever it is that is going to make you feel better is worth it. It does not have to be something you do for others to make them see you better, it is more so better described by Brinn Marks, “Self care is prioritizing yourself and your needs over everything else. Not in a selfish way, but in more of a taking care of yourself way.”