The Scholar-Led News Site of One School of the Arts

The Walter Times

The Walter Times

The Walter Times

Solar Eclipse 2024
Solar Eclipse 2024
April 25, 2024
The Bell Jar
The Bell Jar
April 12, 2024
Aylie Owens, seventh grade, led some of her peers to pray over the dancers and their hardships.
Break a Leg
April 12, 2024

Book Review: I Am a Cat

“Living as I do with human beings, the more that I observe them, the more I am forced to conclude that they are selfish.” Natsume Soseki

I Am a Cat by Natsume Soseki is, dare I say it, the best piece of classical Japanese literature I have ever set my eyes upon. Deceptively simple in its subject matter, it surpasses all plausible expectations one could have for a novel about a feline pet experiencing the course of its life.

I Am a Cat is a criticism of humankind, highlighting our greatest virtues and follys as a species and society. Taking the unique perspective of an indifferent third party that we have over the past millenia welcomed into our home at one point or another throughout our lives, the cat. Patiently watching and listening, unseen but ever present.

Natsume Soseki uses the cat, which has no name, to point out the ridiculous and, at times, seemingly pointless behavior that we as humans engage in to further our own selfish desires. We lie about the extent of our skills and sacrifice needlessly for others who would never do the same, and to these ends we find ourselves trapped in the pitfalls of hubris.

I Am a Cat is a deceptively powerful piece of literature that is brutally honest with its straightforward portrayal of humankind. Perhaps, maybe, the world could benefit from the perspective of a cat.

“The prime fact is that all humans are puffed up by their extreme self-satisfaction with their own brute power. Unless some creature more powerful than people arrives on earth to bully them, there’s just no knowing to what dire lengths their foolish presumptuousness will eventually carry them.” Natsume Soseki

Donate to The Walter Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of One School of the Arts. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.